Anonymous,

Please Login or Register
Download Nuke Evolution Xtreme today for a CMS you can enjoy using and sharing with your friends!
[ Download Now ]
Forum Index  ·  Search  ·  Usergroups  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Members  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Ranks  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Log in

Search for at
Evolution-Xtreme Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
File Repository 1.0.0 Released Announcements! Lonestar 0 Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:44 am
Lonestar View latest post
Image Repository Released Announcements! Lonestar 1 Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:39 pm
Lonestar View latest post
So what happened to us? Announcements! SgtLegend 0 Tue May 06, 2014 12:32 am
SgtLegend View latest post
[PROGRESS] Nuke Evolution Xtreme 2.0.9e Announcements! SgtLegend 2 Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 pm
European Cookie Law Announcements! SgtLegend 0 Sat May 26, 2012 7:33 am

Recent Topics   Next 15 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Evo staff looking for some volunteers. Community Announcements coRpSE 20 Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:19 am
Depresjon2 View latest post
Evo Xtreme 2.0.9D Updated for PHP 5.6 General Support coRpSE 121 Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:57 pm
casterdon View latest post
[ MOD ] - Honeypot V2.2 AntiBot Module Security coRpSE 106 Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:30 am
coRpSE View latest post
Possible new Admin area layout Comments and Suggestions Lonestar 18 Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 am
Blackou View latest post
jQuery update General Support Lonestar 2 Wed May 11, 2016 4:49 pm
Charles64 View latest post
Deutsche Sprachdatei - german language files German DT50R 7 Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:04 am
DT50R View latest post
[FIX] Correct Cookie Settings (Invalid Session Error) Quick fixes killigan 110 Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:06 pm
Macdaddy View latest post
Realm Designz General Support Thumpit 4 Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:13 pm
Thumpit View latest post
Billing/Invoicing Module Modules Thumpit 5 Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm
Thumpit View latest post
Sentinel IP2Country Update General Support bobdude 3 Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:26 am
coRpSE View latest post
a new local project www.wnyboards.com Link up skurge 0 Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:45 pm
skurge View latest post
Adding SSL certificate Security allrocknmetal 4 Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 am
allrocknmetal View latest post
Anyone know how to get hold of Noto? General Support Richmc 0 Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:18 pm
Richmc View latest post
General Info changes are not Saving once changed General Support Thumpit 2 Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:42 pm
Thumpit View latest post
Looking for coRpSE? He is gone till May. General Chat coRpSE 10 Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:32 pm
coRpSE View latest post

2nd Shout box possible?

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view   Thank Post    Evolution-Xtreme Forum Index -> Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScotKinney

blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm Post subject: No icon 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

I  want  to  use  one  shout  box  that's  restricted  to  just  me  for  me  to  post  quick  news  announcements  which  I  already  have  set  up.  But  I'd  like  to  have  a  2nd  one  for  users  to  use.  I  don't  want  to  use  the  news  module  for  this.  I  guess  the  problem  is  in  Db  tables.  Has  anyone  managed  to  do  this?
coRpSE
Xtreme Developer
Xtreme Developer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Support Team
Support Team

votes: 10
usa.png

Web Control Panel: 11.42.0 (build 23)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

You  can  set  up  the  shoutbox  for  all  your  users,  then  you  can  set  up  a  forum  section  for  your  news  and  if  you  really  wanted  to,  you  can  set  it  up  so  no-one  can  reply  back.

Example:  

If  you  go  to  my  site,  http://www.headshotdomain.net/modules.php?name=Forums

you  will  see  in  the  section  above  the  forums,  and  above  the  "Recent  Topics",  I  have  "Latest  Site  News"  there.  I  also  have  it  on  my  site  so  people  can  reply,  but  only  administration  can  make  new  topics.  

I  also  use  Noto's  forums  news  module  to  display  it  on  my  main  page  in  replacement  of  the  standard  news  module  that  came  with  the  CMS.

Another  option  is  maybe  use  the  "Live  Chat",  but  that  is  not  really  what  your  looking  for.

As  for  a  second  shot  box,  it  is  possible,  but  it  would  need  to  be  rewritten  to  use  different  tables,  and  with  that  it  would  more  and  likely  need  all  new  files  and  allot  of  time  to  do  it.
ScotKinney

blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:40 pm Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

heya,  I  was  just  watching  your  sommaire  video  when  I  got  this  message...lol
 I  really  like  the  shout  box  because  it's  so  damn  easy  to  post  a  quick  message.  I'm  the  absolute  worst  at  keeping  up  with  any  kind  of  blog  or  forum  posts  or  news  updates.  Noto  set  mine  up  so  only  I  can  post  in  it  but  then  no  one  else  can  post  so  it's  taking  away  a  lot  of  the  possible  interaction.  If  I  go  with  sticky  posts  then  I  still  have  to  go  into  admin  and  fool  around...which  just  means  it'll  never  get  done.

Are  you  able  to  do  the  work  to  make  a  2nd  shoutbox?  If  so,  are  you  willing?  If  so,  how  much  would  you  want  to  do  it?
Sponsor
phpstorm.jpg
coRpSE
Xtreme Developer
Xtreme Developer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Support Team
Support Team

usa.png

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 pm Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

Ah,  so  your  the  one  that  Noto  was  helping  when  he  hoped  on  my  TS3  server  and  asked  me  about  the  Sommaire.  

Sticky  a  post  requires  you  to  go  into  the  ACP?  Huh,  I  can  announce,  sticky,  and  all  that  fun  stuff  without  going  into  the  forums  ACP.  I  just  make  the  post  and  before  I  click  the  submit,  I  just  select  one  of  the  options  for  the  "Post  topic  as:",  and  just  select  Normal,  Sticky,  Announcement,  or  Global  Announcement.

As  for  me  writing  up  a  new  shoutbox,  if  no  one  here  has  a  better  solution  or  any  other  suggestions,  then  you  and  I  can  talk  privately  on  my  site  or  TS3  about  the  shoutbox.
ScotKinney

blank.png

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:19 pm Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

ok,  let  me  know  when  you  want  to  chat.  It's  looking  like  there  aren't  any  other  suggestions.
coRpSE
Xtreme Developer
Xtreme Developer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Support Team
Support Team

usa.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 am Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

Well,  give  it  a  few  days.  I  can  tell,  if  I  were  to  port  the  shoutbox  to  have  it  be  able  to  make  a  second  for  your  site,  it's  going  to  take  more  time  then  I  have  to  dedicate  to  it.  It's  not  a  quick  simple  change.  But  I  do  have  time  to  help  you  set  up  something  so  you  can  post  your  news  with  out  going  into  the  ACP  or  help  get  some  other  shoutbox  script  working.  Maybe  we  can  up  with  a  solution  that  works  best.  Who  knows,  someone  may  have  already  done  it  so  that  would  also  save  time  and  $$.

If  you  want,  you  can  hop  on  my  clans  TS3  and  we  can  talk.  My  clans  TS3  info  is  found  on  my  website  in  a  block  on  the  right.
Sponsor
webstorm.jpg
ScotKinney

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 am Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

ok,  sounds  good.  You  say  you  can  access  your  shoutbox,  and  do  a  sticky  without  going  into  the  ACP?  I  just  want  to  log  into  the  site  and  post  a  quick  message  once  in  awhile.  Can  we  set  the  players  messages  to  expire  in  a  short  time  without  manually  pruning  the  shoutbox?
coRpSE
Xtreme Developer
Xtreme Developer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Support Team
Support Team

usa.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 am Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

No,  what  I  do  on  my  site  is  I  just  made  a  forum  post  in  a  section  of  my  forums  I  designated  as  my  "News"  section,  and  then  on  my  home  page,  I  have  Noto's  Forums  New's  module  and  put  that  as  my  home  module  so  it  shows  on  the  homepage  and  tied  it  to  the  forum  section  I  put  as  the  news  section.  

Now,  if  I  want  to  post  any  type  of  news,  I  just  go  into  the  forums,  and  make  a  new  thread,  that's  it.  That  gives  me  full  access  to  use  the  bbcodes  to  be  able  to  spice  up  my  news  and  it  can  be  from  anything  from  the  new  content  I  add  to  the  site  to  the  site  to  news  of  the  games  we  are  involved  with.

Also,  by  doing  that,  I  am  able  to  have  people  comment  on  the  new's  information  I  put  out,  but,  they  can't  make  any  news  articles.

The  shoutbox  has  nothing  to  do  with  stickies  or  any  of  that  junk.  Shout  box  is  not  really  a  good  medium  for  posting  new's  for  it  was  not  designed  or  intended  to  do  that,  it  was  designed  to  be  a  social  area.  So  when  people  like  me  come  to  your  site,  we  are  going  to  see  it  as  just  that  and  not  a  news  area.  But  to  each  their  own  I  guess,  it  all  comes  to  personal  taste.  But  doing  something  like  the  news  in  the  forums  would  be  just  as  easy  as  the  shout  box  and  you  can  do  a  whole  lot  more,  like  linking  people  to  a  specific  news  article.

If  you  look  at  my  site,
 http://www.headshotdomain.net/index.php

Look  under  the  revolving  globe,  that's  my  news  section.  

Now  if  you  click  the  top  article  title,  or  the  reply  button,  it  will  bring  you  here:
 http://www.headshotdomain.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3155#3155

which  as  you  can  see,  its  just  a  forums  post.  Now,  you  not  being  a  admin  and  only  reply  to  that  post.  but  in  that  section:
 http://www.headshotdomain.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=26

You  will  not  be  able  to  start  your  own  topic  and  post  news  because  its  only  admins  that  can.

Both  ways  does  not  require  you  to  go  into  the  ACP  to  make  a  post,  though  your  way  you  can  do  one  or  two  liner  post,  again,  you  wont  be  able  to  link  to  anything  specific,  and  more  and  likely  is  going  to  be  over  looked.  And  the  content  to  each  news  in  that  will  be  very  limited.

Where  if  you  used  the  news  module,  you  would  need  to  go  into  the  admin  section  to  do  that.

Or,  you  can  do  something  like  what  I  have  done  and  a  few  others  and  make  our  news  as  easy  as  making  a  forum  post.

The  other  thing  you  can  do  is  leave  everything  you  have  and  use  the  "Live  Chat"  module  which  is  a  system  like  the  shoutbox,  but  it  updates  every  few  seconds  so  people  could  site  there  and  chat.  But  I  don't  know  if  that  script  is  still  supported.

But  its  up  to  you,  it's  your  site.  What  ever  direction  you  want  to  go  will  be  up  to  you,  just  throwing  out  what  I  think  are  better  options  then  the  shout  box  as  a  news  section.
ScotKinney

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 am Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

maybe  the  live  chat  is  the  way  to  go  for  the  users.  Where's  that  module  at?
Sponsor
webstorm.jpg
coRpSE
Xtreme Developer
Xtreme Developer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Support Team
Support Team

usa.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:21 pm Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

http://www.nukecoder.com/shop_item-14.html
ScotKinney

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm Post subject: No icon Re: 2nd Shout box possible? Reply with quote

I  wish  I  knew  more  about  all  of  the  options  in  general.  We  have  10  clans  on  the  game  at  this  point  and  we  already  have  some  clan  info  pages  and  clan  message  boards  and  a  lot  of  things  like  that  all  done  in  asp  from  a  long  time  ago,  so  I'm  really  torn  as  to  how  to  proceed.  Do  we  convert  what  we  have  to  php  and  bring  it  into  Evo  or  use  what's  native  to  Evo.  Kind  of  need  some  expert  advice  if  you've  got  any  spare  time.  We  also  want  to  have  as  much  available  in-game  as  possible  too.  We  can  display  web  pages  in  the  game  so  it's  tough  to  decide  which  way  to  go.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   Thank Post Evolution-Xtreme Forum Index ->  Modules All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: